Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Amazing Recovery

Last Thursday I visited my new doctor to do a skin check.  Since I have a family history of skin cancer, I've been doing these checks at least annually for years.  In mid-sentence I passed out due to low heart rate and fell of the exam table landing on my knees, fingers and face.  I woke up about a minute later on the floor where I was wisked off to the ER to spend the day.  After tests all day,  was cleared to run by the ER doctor so my next thought was to somehow get recovered enough for my scheduled 18 mile run just two days later.

My knees were bruised and I was concerned that the swelling would tighten things up around my knees and make Saturday's 18-miler impossible, so I went to see Dr. Vince DiSaia at Momentum Sports Therapy.  Dr. Vince has been my invaluable training partner as I morphed from couch potato to marathoner and he has helped me quickly resolve many running injuries and even improve my running economy.  Dr. Vince got me squared away and I was hopeful that there was a chance that I'd wake up Saturday morning feeling good enough to run.

Saturday morning came and I felt optimistic, so I packed GU's and two water bottles and went down to A Runner's Zone in Anaheim Hills.  They have group runs every Saturday morning at 7:00am and most people go anywhere between 6-8 miles.  By the way, I highly recommend these runs for anyone looking to hang out with some great people while training.  So I started running with Darrinh and Brian both of whom were adamant they were not going to go more than 6-8 miles (I had successfully convinced them to go 14 miles with me two weeks ago).  As we ticked off the miles having a great time they both came up with excuses to run another few miles.  We got back to the shop at 12 miles and I told them I was just going to do 3 miles out and then run back to get to my 18 miles.  We were all still feeling good so they decided to join me (although Darrinh had to bribe Bryan with a beer).  They almost had to carry me home after we hit some nasty hills and heat those last few miles, but I did make it back and enjoyed my accomplishment for the rest of the day.

By the way, the doctors think it was a fluke that I passed out but they are still running tests just to rule everything out.  20 miles on Saturday anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment