Sunday, July 31, 2011

20 Mile Attempt

I went out for 20 miles yesterday and hit the wall hard at about 15 miles.  I pushed through another mile and then decided that I might be pushing too hard for a long run, so I backed off and walked the last four miles home.  I've been consistently hitting a wall at about 15-17 miles for the last year now, and I've been thinking that I need to run more often than just three times a week to break through this hurdle.  I just bought some Vibram Five Fingers which I'm looking forward to breaking in on my first recovery run tonight.

By the way, the run itself was very enjoyable.  I went out slow and kept a slow and steady pace.  I ran the first seven miles with Darrin from A Runner's Zone and then took off down the Santa Ana River in the opposite direction from what I usually go.  It was nice to check out the new route and I was even lucky enough to find water right on the route.  I had plenty of drinking water with me, but it was getting hot out there so I dumped a few water bottles over my head and it felt great!  Also, had a great slow and easy 20 mile recovery bike ride with my wife this afternoon down to the ocean and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment