Sunday, July 17, 2011

All is Well Again!

I didn't really know what to expect for this week after I crashed and burned in my attempt to run 20 miles last week.  This week I paid a lot of attention to recovery, making sure I spent a lot of extra time stretching, using the roller, paying attention to nutrition and getting enough sleep.  I also got some new shoes and bought some some Cliff Shots with 3x extra salt since I've been wondering if all the salt I lose in sweat was causing me to lose it toward the end of those long runs (I'm usually covered from head to toes in dried salt at the end of my runs).  I took down a package during my run in addition to four GU's.

It's hard to tell which of the above did the trick, but yesterday's 16 miles was a piece of cake.  I ran the first five miles with Rick who I met for the first time at the running store and then finished the last eleven miles on my own.  My left calf did cramp up at about mile 7 but it never got bad enough to stop me.  Also, I nearly twisted my ankle while running on the outside of the path and I went crashing into the dirt on my hands and knees within sight of several bicylclers!  I suppose that was good for my humility.  Anyway, I was still feeling good toward the end and my last mile was in just over nine minutes.  On top of that run which was a huge success, I forgot to mention that I also completed my first successful Yasso 800's on Wednesday.  I thought was I going to only get to six or seven repeats, but I was able to complete all ten at my goal pace weeks ahead of schedule!

This is going to be a busy week as I get ready to go out of town on vacation, but I'm hoping to stay disclipined with my workouts and recovery so I can consolidate the gains from this week and also maintain my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment